St Lawrence Jewry Fountain

London

Client – City of London
Date of Completion – 2010

The St Lawrence Jewry Fountain was designed by architect John Robinson, with bronze sculpture by the artist Joseph Durham, and erected in 1866 outside the church of St Lawrence Jewry. During the redevelopment of the Guildhall in the 1970s, the fountain was dismantled and placed in storage for nearly 40 years.

Repairs, conservation, replacement of missing and badly damaged sections of Bath and Portland stone, cleaning methods and carving details were carried out at the contractor’s workshop, ahead of the fountain’s reconstruction on site, which took four months. The fountain sits on a new stepped plinth designed to match its historical setting. The new gilded crosses and finial were designed by Freeland Rees Roberts based on historical photographs.

Related articles →