Norwich Cathedral is a Romanesque Foundation begun in 1096. The majority of the original cathedral survives with alterations and improvements through later centuries.
Henry Freeland was appointed in 1997 as Surveyor to the Fabric and Architect to the Cathedral and advises on all aspects concerning the historic building fabric. Quinquennial Inspections are carried out to establish its condition and to formulate strategies and programmes for repair and conservation. Liturgical alterations and improvements, health and safety measures, improvements and repairs to the building services systems, new furniture, signs etc. have all been part of his work as well as advising Hopkins Architects on the award-winning Refectory and Hostry buildings.
Recent projects include: re-leading of cloister roofs, conservation of masonry, incorporation of sculptures on the west front, new choir stalls and lecterns for the Nave Sanctuary, new misericords, new stained glass windows, a new sound enhancement system, a fire detection system, flooring repairs, health and safety measures, reopening of the Dark Entry, conversion of St Saviour’s Chapel to a Song School.
The Cathedral Close is one of the largest in England and recent projects include the refurbishment of No. 5 and No.65 The Close, conservation and repairs to the Erpingham Gate and the Precinct walls, and a scheme for conversion of Ferry Lane Stables.